Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Gearing up for the next uphill climb

I went to see Dr. Tricot on Monday, yesterday, and he said it is time to get prepared for the second transplant. Seriously, I had secretly hoped that he would tell me I didn't need the second one, but what fun would that be? He wants to get going asap so I will head up to Salt Lake the end of January and begin a similar process as to what I have just completed.

I have had such a fun Christmas. All the kids were home except Colton and Megan. It was nice to have a three year old in the house again for Christmas. It just makes everything so much more exciting.

The YM and YW in our ward made a video of a few incidents in my life and brought it over for us to enjoy. Our ward really has some great acting talent. It was so much fun to watch and we all had a good laugh. The Bishop was especially impresive. Thanks to all who put so much time and effort into the making of the film!!

My cousin Chrisann sent me a copy of a talk "The Character of Christ" by Elder Bednar, that I read this past week and it has really inspired me. He quoted Elder Maxwell who said, "There would have been no Atonement except for the character of Christ." Elder Bednar then went on to talk about character and what the definition of character is. A couple of things he said that impressed and motivated me were, "Character is revealed in the power to discern the suffering of other people when we ourselves are suffering, in the ability to detect the hunger of others when we are hungry; and in the power to reach out and extend compassion for the spiritual agony of others when we are in the midst of our own spiritual distress. Thus, character is demonstrated by looking and reaching outward when the natural and instinctive response is to be self-absorbed and turn inward."

Christ was a perfect example of such character. These thoughts have motivated me to try to improve my character and become more like Christ. It becomes so easy when you are in the middle of a crisis to only think of yourself. Life is so much better when you think of others and forget yourself.

Here is wishing everyone a Happy New Year. Thanks again and again for the many kind thoughts and acts of service that have been done for us in the past and over the Christmas Holiday. We love you all.

10 comments:

Nanette Merrill said...

What great words Carolyn. I never thought of it that way. It sounds like a book all of us should read.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the insight, Carolyn. I've been thinking of Elder Maxwell a lot too - and his 8 year battle with cancer. Who ever would have known to see him up talking in conference - and yet we could tell something was wrong. Now that I see what those with cancer go through I wonder how he, and President Hinkley, and all of the others with cancer ever did all they did (and I'm sure, do all they do) without us ever knowing of their afflictions.
Marilyn (Tebbs) Bennett

Nate and Cherise said...

Thanks again for everything. I'm sure it wasn't easy having company for two whole weeks. That was a great message from Elder Bednar. Me and the boys miss you and lover you lots!

Holly Toolson said...

I have to say, Carolyn, you already epitomize the word "Character" as Elder Bednar describes it!
Love, Holly

Anonymous said...

I saw Nicole a couple days ago and she said you are doing so good. She looks so great and seems so happy. She said what a great month you all have had. You sure have some darling girls!!!! They are a lot like their MOM. Emily Johnsen

Rogers said...

YOU SOUND SOOOO GOOD! It makes me happy!

flora said...

THis is Paula McKinlay on Floras'a computer. Did you get my message on your home phone? Kasie and I want to get together with Wealtha and our husbands for dinner at my home. Or do we need to go to your "temp" home? Let me know. Our family prayers are with you and your family. e-mail me back at rusticprime@earthlink.net

Annalisa and Vance said...

Your blog is so inspiring. Love you and miss seeing you around the BYU ward here.

Erika said...

I really liked this post. Another quote that I think is very similar from President Hinckley states, "the best antidote for worry is work. The best medicine for dispair is service. The best cure for weariness is to help someone more tired." I keep it on my magnet board in my appartment room, and those words alone have helped me to just keep going when I feel like giving up.

Rogers said...

Hello from Phuket! How is it going? Thought I'd check again to see if you'd posted the latest treatment. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily!!!! See you soon! You will do great I just know!!! Love You, Susan