Wednesday, December 10, 2008

On Top of Rocky Ridge

Hurray!! I think I finally made it to the top of the hill and it was definately not a fun climb!! Yesterday I woke up and just felt different. I could tell that things were going to go in a positive direction and I have been almost 2 days now without a fever. If I get through the night, I believe the Doctor will let me go back to the apartment for a few days and then hopefully I will be in Alpine by Saturday or Sunday.

The past two weeks have been probably the hardest two weeks of my life, I really just want to think of it as a bad dream. I didn't prepare myself for what I experienced, but I don't know if you really could prepare for something like that. I decided I would focus on the positive of it all, and want to share just a few of those positives with you. 1. I met some really great, fun, caring people here on the BMT unit and Iwill always have a soft spot in my heart for their kindness and superior care. 2. I came to appreciate so much more the level of suffering that the Savior did in the garden of Gethsemene. At times when I thought I couldn't bare the burden, I thought of him and knew that he understood my pain and I felt his love and understanding. 3. I continued to be uplifted by the prayers I knew were being said in my behalf. 4. I experienced first hand again as I have so many times already, the tremendous power of the Priesthood. I am so thankful for a good husband that holds the priesthood and is able to call upon that great power at any moment to bless my life. 5. I have loved watching my children pull together to take care of one another and the needs at home. I know they are closer to one another now than they have been at any time in their life.

I could continue on and on and I have come to understand that with any trial there is always a positive if we look to find it. Now, with that being said, I am soooooo glad to be where I am and have the past two weeks behind me.

I look forward to returning home, being with my family, seeing my new grandbaby and getting a good laugh from my other grandson. I think there is nothing better than grandbabies. A few weeks ago Lucas ( my oldest grandson) wanted me to take him to Cabela's. I was loading him in the car and he said Grandma Owens, lets go to Chuckie Cheese it's more fun. I said "Lucas, I can't take you to Chuckie Cheese, I don't even know how to get there." He said, "Grandma Owens, you just follow the road!" Needless to say we followed the road and sure enough we found Chuckie Cheese!

Have a great Holiday. I love you all. Many Thanks!!

20 comments:

Jana said...

Oh, I am so glad you are feeling better. And once again, you pull through only thinking about the positive. Who can do that? One hand saying you have had the hardest two weeks of your life, then go on to tell us about all of the positives of it. You are awesome! I am glad your family is weathering it good too.

Jana said...

That was my post-Jana-Some how it was changed to J. I think I fixed it.

Rogers said...

Okay, you make me cry...and as Akoy calls them, they are 'happy tears!' I am so so so thankful you are back!!! Your strength and positive attitude brings hope and courage to others (me). SEE YOU SOON! That sounds so good! Love you, Susan

A-W Burgess said...

Carolyn, so great to hear of your progress. You are an inspiration. We miss you and hope to see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Carolyn, You are amazing!!!! and it carries through to your family. Kristin is such a shining star as she is going through her hard time with her knee. She always has a smile on and is the strength of the team... .even from the sideline. I took them some food today before they left on the bus for the game, and there was Kristin, right next to Megan's side. You couldn't find two cuter girls! I am so glad you are on the upswing. Jen Smith

Mariellen said...

Well, I am so glad to hear from you! You sound amazing in this update. I am so grateful that you have felt our prayers! I, too, am so glad that the last 2 weeks are behind rather than in front.
Let us know when you can have visitors! I love you.
Mariellen

Nancy said...

Thank You for being such a good example to me. You help me to remember the "important" things in life.
Love You Carolyn
N

Emilee said...

Do all roads lead to Chuck-E-Cheese? I'm so glad you get to be home for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Carolyn

Troy and Jodi wish you all the best

love and miss you and your family

Anonymous said...

WELCOME HOME! Thanks for your great example to all of us and for helping me keep life in perspective. I can't think of a better gift than to be home for Christmas with the people who love you.
I saw your video clip on Megan and Colton's blog. I think you look great and I love the hat!
Enjoy your day!

Sharyn said...

Hi Carolyn,
I'm so glad you're feeling better. You are an inspiration....and you are so right. There's nothing like grandchildren. Whenever I need a little cheering up all I need to do is go see my grandchildren and have them give me a big hug. Family is absolutely the most important thing in life along with the gospel. You are in our prayers. Love, Sharyn Brown

Jane Ann Fosson said...

Carolyn,

I love your blog! You have a much better readership than we have accumulated (57 comments on some of your posts!) It is so uplifting to read about you and hear from you, and even though Gabe and I are very far away from you, I felt so close to you that I admittedly teared up a little. We love you so much Carolyn, and we pray for you daily. You are such a trooper and have always and still are one of the best examples of faith and service. Hang in there. I had a dream that Gabe and I came home to a big family party, and you were there (hair and all!) with Jeff. I can't wait to see you again soon. Take care and know that we are still with you, even from thousands of miles away.

Nanette Merrill said...

Lucas seems to know more than most of us. If we are on the right road, all we have to do is follow it. Now finding the right road can be confusing sometimes! You are definately on the right road Carolyn. I'm sorry it is the rocky uphill road though, for now.

flora said...

Hey girl,
They tell me that you are having an adventure. My favorite saying is: "The candle of life burn brightest in the winds of adventure". You are experiencing an adventure of sorts, not a fun one, but one that will enrich and strengthen your life, maybe, even more important, it will strengthen the lives of those that love you. Please, always try to look on the positive side. We were put on earth to experience all that life has to offer. i say, bring it on! Easy for me to say, huh?
just a few things I know about you:
1. You're a tough gal. You were born to pioneer stock and you're pioneer stock. in many ways you remind me of my mother, strong, resourceful, resilient.
2. You love everyone! You have as much love in your heart as anyone i have ever known. but most of all you love your family more than words can describe. You have to be strong, just think of all the current and future grandchildren that need your immense love.
3. You have great compassion and charity towards others. i find it interesting that the great giver (you) gets to be the great receiver.
4. You have a loving and adoring husband and best friend who thinks the world of you. How lucky and blessed you are. Many, many times i have heard him sing your praises.
5. You have so many wonderful friends. you are truly receiving a portion of the love which you have
extended to others.
6. You can ride a horse bareback like an indian. jeff told me so. I have really had good intentions of taking you and Sydney up into the mountains to ride one of my favorite trails. Lets make it a date. no husbands allowed. just me and the girls. You may be on a mule though.
Please get better. Know that you are loved. Do your best to stay optimistic and positive. Your mental state of mind is sooo important.
love, alan

flora said...

Hey! The above blog is from ALAN. He used my computer. Love from me too.

Dave and Terry said...

You came through this amazingly well. We pray for your continued recovery.

Love, Dave and Terry

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better and will get to be home for Christmas...our thoughts and prayers have been with you--you are so incredible; this positive attitude of yours has truly inspired me and my family. Congrats on the new grandbaby...he's darling! I'm so excited to have joined your "grandma club"...we'll get together soon to share pictures and stories, ok! Continue to hang in there...we love you, Mele Kalikimaka to you and your family!! The Malufaus

Michelle, Jack, Charlie, and Nick! said...

I am amazed at the strength you have and think you are an amazing example of faith! Hope you have a Merry Christmas and congrats on the new grandson...I saw pictures and he is one handsome little guy!

Kristine said...

Hi Carolyn-this is Kristine I met you at the BMT clinic. I guess we are climbing the same mountain. So good to find someone who is up head on the trail. I have lots of questions. hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

Kristine said...

Hi Carolyn,
I love your new blog! I am jumping for joy right now. They collected 24.8 million!! hope your fight with insurance gets resolved quickly. Love, Kristine