Friday, August 29, 2008

The beginning

On August 27, 2008, I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. Still unsure of exactly what stage of the disease I am in, we are proceeding with treatment starting today, August 29, 2008.

Last night Conrad Gottfredson (our stake president and my cousin) along with my Bishop Darren Hartvigsen came over to the house and gave me a beautiful blessing, rebuking the cancer in my body, and at the same time submitting to the Lord's will. So....if it is the Lord's will that I will be healed, I will be healed. "It is better to trust in the Lord than put confidence in man." Psalms 118 8-9. I am very optimistic that I will spend a few more years here with my family. The journey will be hard but we will all learn and grow and be better because of what we experience.

At 10:00 am today I will begin my first IV Chemotherapy treatment (Velcade). Along with that I have a oral Chemotherapy drug (Decadron) I will be taking as well. The third drug I am taking is called Revlimid. The schedule will be over the next 21 days. I will do the IV treatment on day 1, 4, 8, and 11. The drug therapy on day 1, 8, and 15. The Revlimid I take every day for the next 14 days. At that point I'm not sure what happens.

Jeff and I are considering moving my care up to the Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City. Dr. Mower will be back in town on Monday and we will discuss that option with him.

Dr. Mower, the Doctor that I credit with finally making the diagnosis, told me that if there was ever a good time to have Multiple Myeloma, it is now. He said they are making great progress with the treatment and are finding great success.

I know this is going to be one of our toughest adventures yet. I know I will have hard days, and I will need every prayer that I can get. I look forward to the lessons we will all be taught, but especially to the lessons I will personally learn and the relationship I will enjoy with my Heavenly Father and his son.

I will keep you all posted.

2 comments:

Dave and Terry said...

Our prayers are with you and I too know that you can beat this if that is the will of our Heavenly Father. Yur attitude is remarkable.
Lots of love, Terry

Sydney said...

Glad to see that you figured out the posting. You are a remarkable person and I feel very fortunate to have moved next door to you guys so many years ago!!! I just wish I lived there still and could drop in as often as I did!! Keep on posting.