Monday, May 3, 2010


This past week I found out a friend of ours from a previous ward we lived in was diagnosed with the same cancer I have, multiple myeloma. I went over to his home to visit with him, and as I left the house I began to reflect back to August of 2008, when I was first informed of my cancer.

As I recalled in my mind the different feelings and emotions I experienced, I was also reminded of the peace that filled our hearts and our home. Looking back now, it is so evident to see the Lord's hand in our journey. We were guided through a series of events to Dr. Tricot and his staff at the Huntsman Center. There was no question in our minds as to what treatment we were to do to battle this cancer.

We were overwhelmed with several problems, our insurance not wanting to pay for the treatment, being one of the biggest. We were told one of the medications I would need to be on would cost $5000.00 a month and our insurance would only pay half, leaving us a $2500.00 c0-pay for the medication each month. As we started to do the math, we figured we were looking at around $250,000 out of pocket to take care of our end of the treatment. I remember telling Jeff we would just have to do something else because I couldn't bear to put our family in that type of financial situation. Jeff just looked at me and said that all would be well, that the Lord would take care of us and if we spent the rest of our lives paying for the treatment that would be okay.

Another obstacle we faced at the time was that Jeff had just started a new business. We had very little cash flow and no steady income. Still, the peace we felt was incredible. At a time when it looked like our world was completely crumbling, we felt so peaceful. Our home was filled with angels from both sides of the veil. Our ward members went above and beyond to help our family and to lift the burden which was upon our back. The young men grew a garden and worked all summer long, then donated the proceeds from the garden to my cancer fund. Jeff's BYU 106th ward kept us constantly in their prayers. We had so many, many, beautiful acts of service performed for us, it was overwhelming.

Then the miracles began. I had to live in SLC for three weeks while I had the transplants. We were able to find a place to live, ten minutes away from the Huntsman, and the Landlords charged us nothing. Our hearts are filled with gratitude and will be forever filled with gratitude to those good people for that act of kindness. Although it took a few extra days, I was finally able to get the stems cells necessary for both transplants. In my mind, that was a miracle. The time I spent in the hospital, seeing the power of the Priesthood work for my good many times, miracles. The Lord led us to an attorney that battled with our insurance company who in turn agreed to pay for both transplants, miracle. My medication for what ever reason, (I still don't have an answer for it), only cost me $30.00 a month instead of $2500.00, miracle. Day in and day out, we experienced so many miracles. We saw and felt the Lord's hand in our lives over and over.

It has been so inspiring for me to look back and be able to recognize the blessings that have come to our family through this trial. Our faith has increased and we have learned to trust the Lord completely. We are better people because of this experience.


Janell Barney said...

Glad I found this blog. Are you out of the woods and doing well?

Rebecca Christianson said...

Carolyn, such a beautiful testimony! Thank you for sharing! Could you send me your e-mail address? We are having a shower for Tommy's fiance. My address is Thanks! - Rebecca

Kristine said...

Carolyn, So good to hear from you! I love your post about Miracles. I feel so humble to be the recipient of so many also. When school starts back up this fall we really need to get together. Thanks for keeping in touch. Love, Kris